Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hello, my name is Kelly, and I want to travel for the rest of my life.

I know it sounds clichè. I know I am probably falling into the typical twenty-something "travelbugged" American character, but its true. I have it. The difference between me and those people are that I have the drive to make it happen. I have grown up with the idea that if you want something, all you need is drive, endurance, and persistence to get it. I've got the trio.

I just got out of my travel writing class, a two plus hour lesson of reading, writing, and sharing experiences abroad. Though I was a bit envious of my classmates' destinations, I do not regret staying in Italy in the least. I think if anything, I would have regretted a three country ten day trip, because its like eating one potato chip from a huge bag. Instead of tasting all different potato chips, I like to finish one bag, then move onto the next one.

Once I leave Italy, I know the fact that I may never be back again is easier to swallow. My list of places I have been on the side of this blog will only grow and grow throughout April and May, so that once I'm back at home, there will not be a stone left unturned in Italy.

After this trip I want to see Amsterdam, I want to see Prague. I want to see Dublin and Berlin and Budapest. I want to explore the Canary Islands and Thailand and Croatia. I want to see China and Australia and New Zealand. I also want to travel around America. I'm going to California for next spring semester. I want to see Alaska and Hawaii at some point.

I hope my parents end up reading this at some point because I should probably let them know that I do have a plan in mind. They might not approve at first, but I'm legal now. Also, they felt the same way and said the same thing when I said I wanted to study abroad and I'm here, soooo

I will be graduating a semester early from college. I will finish my degree December 2012 leaving the spring of 2013 open. I know my job hunting will start early, as I looked for internships when I was only a freshman in college.

I want to either au pair or internship abroad in the spring. Fact is, travel writing is not all that it is cracked up to be. It a hard life to live as Tim Leffel explains (http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/travel/travel_writing/seven_myths_of_being_a_travel_writer.shtml)

Being an Au Pair or interning abroad, I can be safe, travel, write, and job hunt all at the same time. I know I sound like I'm living in a dream world, and I admit that I am. The thing is, when I'm in America, traveling seems like it is put on such a high pedestal. It is so Romanticized. The fact is, my American dream is traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment