Sunday, March 13, 2011

What I'm feeling, no filter

Viareggio: Rainy, Wandering the city, Cafe`, Festive, Costumes, Music, Nut stand, Beach, Nostalgia, Talking on trains with friends about where we're from and what were getting out of studying abroad.

Day trips are perfect. I like being in Florence because its truly the heart of Italy. Other cities and towns are very accessible. Plus, they are not very expensive, and you don't need to waste money on a hotel.

I have realized that travel-wise, I'm making the best decision for me. I have a lot of friends who are going to Amsterdam, Prague, Dublin, and London the week that we have spring break. I understand that for a lot of us, this might be our only time in Europe. Chances are, we won't be back, or at least anytime soon, so why not see all you can see?

In high school, I went on a trip around Italy for a few weeks. We saw almost 20 towns and cities. We were always traveling. For me, this trip is the opportunity to spend more time in one place. Some friends have the cities they have their hearts set on. My heart is set on Sicily, which I am happy is booked. But when else will I be able to be a regular customer in shops in Florence? When can I be almost considered a local in Europe? When/If I come back to Europe, I will go to Amsterdam, Paris, Prague... I won't be going back to Capri, Assisi, and Naples.

I just don't want to be a tourist anymore. I hate that feeling.

This is nothing against the people going on big trips. This isn't coming from someone who is bitter that I am not going on one of those trips. I know I could have. I'm just saying its not for me, and I am happy I am doing what is making me happy and what suits me best.

That is a big part of being here. You meet a lot of people from all different parts of the state with all different backgrounds, histories. They come from a different upbringing with different values, different morals. It can be very easy to smile, nod, and agree, but as the Beach Boys said, "Stay true to your school."

Seeing how you react to those different personalities help you learn about yourself more. Also, it can help prepare you for the future. Now you will know how to better deal with those personalities and those difficult situations.

I know this might all sound like a 20 year old epiphany, (but I'm 19) and honestly, this is when we're supposed to learn these lessons. Plus, this is nothing I've never thought of before, nothing new to me. Its just something to be reminded of.

Sometimes we need those reminders.




No comments:

Post a Comment