Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Students

When traveling abroad, a person does not only come across a different place, but also different people. We, as studying abroad students, are encouraged to meet and interact with locals, which I do whenever possible. One group I do not wish to cast off too quickly, however, is the other students who are studying abroad.

Before I left, my father told me, "You are going to meet some really cool people on this trip. Not only locals, and you better talk Italian to them, but also all the kids who study abroad must have some guts." He was right.

Not only do I meet students who have done community service projects, but some have written books, others seem earn the title professional traveler. I hope I can fit in.

These students are from all over: California, Alaska, Texas, Virginia, every nook and crany of America. I love it. I am so interested with how their mindsets are, their lifestyles, what their home school is like, what culture they come from. I feel like when you get to know someone in this sense, you can not only experience traveling abroad in the location you are at (and the surrounding area where ever that may be), but also you experience another person's culture. Sometimes, sitting down and having a cup of coffee with someone who is from another place could be just as interesting and eye-opening than going to a museum or taking a day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment