Thursday, March 24, 2011

vvvvrrrrroom

Thursday was Vespa day. We met Niccolo` and were off. He drove us up to the farm where we met a couple from Ohio also doing the vespa tour. I put a grey helmet on my head and sat on my first ever vespa. I've driven quads and waverunners before, so I didn't expect this to be too difficult. As Niccolo says, "If you could ride a bike, well, this is easier because you don't have to 'huh-huh-huh."

After a few laps around the dirt path, we made our way onto the street and through the rolling Chianti hills. It was amazing. I've seen this view before, on the horse, but today was a completely different experience.

We went to another little town, Castellina in Chianti, to check out the underground tunnels and to make wishes on the rocks. You are supposed to go to the fountain, drink the water, then kiss your hand and touch the rock. There are two fountains plus a statue which represents the feud between Siena and Florence. We made the same wish at both fountains, a tradition.

After a nice cappuccino, we were off again, zipping through the winding roads. Returning to the farm a few hours later, we got back in the van and headed up to the restaurant for a nice meal of bruschetta, prosciutto and cheese, sausage risotto, and gnocchi with ragu`, and of course lots of white wine, olive oil, and vinegar.

We tried different wines than I had on Tuesday and met the owner of the shop who let us try different wines. Oh and the grappa. Do you know how they make grappa? It is amazing. Grappa is essentially the alcohol that is in wine. Wow is that strong.

We couldn't have asked for a bluer sky, nicer weather, a better tour guide...

I never think that tomorrow can be a better day than today, then I'm proven wrong. Each day really is a new experience.

(Wow, I sound like such a naive and corny 20 year old, but at this point in my life, that is what I see.)

No comments:

Post a Comment