Thursday, March 24, 2011

People and Culture

Half way through spring break, sad I know, I figured I would need a relaxing day in Florence. I definitely did. Today was about the people.

First, I ran into the British brother and sister I had met the day before at horseback riding. Of course this had to happen, right after I thought about how from the outside, I look like I am wearing the same thing: spring jacket, leggings, boots, scarf.

After a quick chat, I was off to meet a friend for a cocktail. We talked and talked to the bartenders as my friend was a local in this place.

Later in the day, I had my language exchange. I talk to a local Italian for an hour or so a week. I teach him English, and he teaches me Italian.

Today, we talked about how Florence is losing its culture. Because the economy is bad, Florence relies more and more on tourist money. Instead of realizing that most of us come here to experience their culture, they try to cater to us. They advertise in English. They build more Americanized menus. Their culture is slowly fading.

It is funny because being here four years ago, I can see the difference. All of the locals I have talked to would agree.

You always want what you can't have. Americans romanticize the European lifestyle and the Europeans are trying to become more and more Westernized. We always think the grass is greener. I think we need to stop and check out the brown spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment