Wednesday, March 2, 2011

ca-me-chu-AHHHHH

My history class met at the Fountain of Neptune in the Piazza Della Signora today instead of in the classroom. As my classmates and I shivered with our teeth chattering, we noticed a big group of Italian kids yammering by. Italian children are known as brats to all of my professors, but in comparison to American kids, they should be anointed sainthood. Anyway, one of the Italian kids went up to one of my peers who is Asian and bowed saying, "Konnichiwa."

The public opinion of travelers are mixed. There is graffiti next to one of my classmates' apartment buildings saying something along the lines of, "Americans, go home!"

The mix of cultures here is very different.

For instance, at home, if I walked into my local chinese restaurant, the owner would be able to speak enough English to take my order, but then they would turn and speak to their co-workers in chinese. Here, I walk into a Chinese Restaurant and all I would hear is perfect Italian.

"Diversity" is different to every person, every place. I think its so interesting.

Wow, this post is all over the place. I'll clean it up one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment