Sunday, February 20, 2011

what a day

I don't even know how to put this day into words. I mean, I am a journalism major, so I better get used to this, and quick, but I'm completely exhausted so... lets see how this goes!

The magical thing about this place is that the days are as winding as the streets. You don't always expect what's coming, because sometimes you don't have that option. Being surprised, whether positively or negatively, is a thrill, which is yet another reason I love this place.

Today my program took us to Siena and San Gimignano. Siena was gorgeous.



I know that is a very predictable thing to say, but Siena is pretty much predictable Italy. There are many churches. There are many arches, and vines, and flowers, and views of fields, and pastry shoppes. Don't get me wrong, I can never get sick of Italy, I just don't know how else to describe it, because it was a place I feel like I have seen a million times. I was kind of grouchy this trip, it being the second day of travel, running on a lack of sleep. I was starving most of the day, and let it be known. I officially apologize again to my friends, and sorry to my readers who have to hear me complain.






The one thing I loved about Siena was the food. A friend and I found a local restaurant and got a dish that was loved by locals: beef and mushrooms. It was AH-MA-ZINGGGG. The pepperocino oil and bread sided this dish perfectly. It was tender and crispy and light but filling, I could go on... We talked about how we think it is so important to get away from the touristy area where our program guides meet us and really venture into the town, because then you won't truly experience the place you are.

After the delicious yet pretty inexpensive meal, we went to the famous rice ball stand. Picture a zeppoli. Now picture rice pudding inside. Now picture fresh sugar on top. Oh. My. Words cannot describe.







My friend and I got to our meeting point a little early, so we ended up stopping in a pastry shop and buying these cookies that are only made in Siena called Ricciarelli. They were almond. They were fresh. They were great.

After our appetites and taste buds were on the brink of exploding, we boarded the bus and off to San Gimignano.

Do you know how sometimes, naps are not the best idea?

We got off the bus at San Gimignano feeling groggy. We were seriously considering not going on the walking tour and staying in a coffee shop for the hour and a half we would be there. The drizzling weather wasn't helping.

The whole group once again plugged in our headphones to listen to the guide. She brought us to two scenic checkpoints which were breathtaking. Rolling Italian hills of orchards and residences is a scene I will never forget or get sick of.

This is when the day took a turn.

Literally, as a group of five of us took pictures, our larger group and tour guide disappeared. Out of thin air. Gone. As we were looking for them, we stumbled upon a very residential area. There was a low road and a high road. Out of curiosity, we started walked down, and an older woman came into view. She was walking. With a cat. Yes, una passagiata con giatto. It was hilarious. She turned to us and gave a look as if to say, "I swear, I'm not doing anything illegal." Wow. A friend pointed out that in America, we walk children on leashes, so I guess this shouldn't have surprised us too much, but it was still pretty creepy. Her smile put it over the top.







The five of us realize calling our tour guide was a good thing to do. We would have had free time after the tour anyway, so we told him that we would still meet at our meeting place at 6:30. We were walking around, and suddenly heard music. "Guys forget the tour. MUSIC! Lets go!"

We walked up the street and find a parade. The five of us start snapping pictures with clowns, dancing, singing to the American music they were playing, and having a great time. One clown actually picked me up fireman style for a picture. It was such a fun, unexpected party.

Thats what life is about I think, the unexpected and how a person reacts to that. We could have found the group. We could have watched and not participated. Realizing how you react to different situations will teach you more about yourself. Its how we grow. Happiness can do that too.







To leave this on a more funny and less philosophical note, I'm expecting Paul Tompkins to talk about me today, cause i had the best day ever.



Just realized theres five pictures of the rice ball place and just three of the rest of Siena. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment