Monday, February 14, 2011

my one and only valentines day in italy

Today is a day about love, no matter the form. To cherish our once in a lifetime Valentine's night, one of my good friends and I got all dressed up and went out for a night meal. Tonight was beautiful. After getting a couple cat calls, from men AND women, we got to this cute, little restaurant by the ponte vecchio. We got eyed up by the one table of men who were sitting across from us, but my friend and I didn't pay them any attention. In my broken Italian, I ordered us a half bottle of wine and two orders of chiken with spinach in lemon sauce. Delicious does not do that meal justice! We shared the wine and food and nice conversation, pleased with our choice of restaurant.

After the dining room emptied out, we ordered a cheesecake and chocolate mousse to split. Incredible. The mousse was whipped to perfection, and our craving for strawberry cheesecake was more than satisfied. A few minutes had passed once we were done with our meal. I remember one of our program advisors saying that you usually have to ask for a check, or they will let you sit there all night. Mi scusi I call to the waiter. Vorrei pagare I mumble out, scared that I said something wrong. He starts laughing in my face. Ooooooh no! What did I just do? I think to myself.

He puckers his lips and puts his finger on each cheek, baciare is to kiss he says. Vorrei pagare! I bury my head in my napkin and the room explodes with the three of us laughing.

I will never mumble again.

No comments:

Post a Comment