Monday, February 7, 2011

The Catch Up

Flying High

It's hard to describe this experience as anything other than flying high, and no, I'm not talking about the typical reference you might expect out of a nineteen year old college student. After a night's sleep crammed up on a 2in by 2in airplane seat, eating some fake food, and having my ears pop every other minute, I am finally here. Finally, I am starting my studying abroad trip. This only took three jobs, working my butt off for a few summers, running around campus, around my hometown, and New York that is, trying to get paperwork done. Laying on this tiny hotel bed never felt so good.



Hello Again

I can't believe I was fifteen the last time I was here. Walking through the Colosseum, Roman Forums, and the Pantheon could never get old.

The one aspect to being here that I have never felt before is culture shock. I guess the fact that I have never gone on a four month trip hit me harder that I thought. After getting over breaking out the rusty Italian to the locals and ordering some delicious paninis, I'm getting over it.

In a few more days, and I'll be good to go.

I've had my first legal drink in Italy, here in Rome. The roommates and I went a bar called Robin Hood Pub down the street and got some cocktails. I got my mom's favorite drink: a Mojito.



Thats sick

Ieri sera, io ho un febbre. It sucked.

I ended up not going to the Vatican today, but I remember it like it was yesterday. After a day and a night of sleep, I'll be fine.



Ciao Firenze

Finally. I'm here. Florence. Walking into this apartment was unreal. The roommates and I have gone to the local supermarket down the street for a days worth of groceries and made a full meal on 21 euros.

Some things I learned about Italy:

- the heat is run by the state and will shut off
- the shower is an everyday (or every other day) battle



Life's a Party
Today, the walking tour of Florence was surreal. I could walk by the Duomo fifteen times a day, and I will marvel everytime. Tonight was discoteca night! The roommates and I have realized that our apartment is prime locale, being at most 200m from the Duomo, a supermarket, a discount shop, a bar, a pub, a discoteca, a few gelato shops, small restaurants all while still being on a quiet street.



We have to go to class now?
I have figured out all of my classes, and they are pretty interesting. Travel writing will by far be my favorite class.

Spending the first week wandering around the city is the perfect way to get to know where I'm at was the best move I've made here so far.

My roommates and I have been cooking, everything from pasta to steak to sausage and peppers to chicken to salads. The fresh food here makes all the difference. Between the nutella, gelato, panini, pizza and fresh juice, I'm in heaven. Also, of course, the wine is something to mention. I've been in love with the fact that there are crispy m&ms in Italy, unlike the US. I wish they made that a gelato flavor.


I found my spot
I've found my favorite spot in the city, Piazza Michaelangelo. I've been there twice so far, once at sunset, and once to just sit and do homework. The sunset was amazing, but the time I just went and did homework, I saw wedding going on there. That's what I love about Italy, the unexpected little things in life are brought out everyday. From wandering the city and seeing some amazing tags (graffiti) to getting lost and ending up at the David to eating that chicken panini sandwich you've been dreaming about since you were 15 to eating nutella with a spoon to going to a jazz club and asking for a slice of lemon and getting a whole one to spontaneously climbing up the bell tower just as the sun goes down to going for a run alongside the arno and stopping into a fruit shop just to let an old Italian woman laugh at you as you pay for that orange with the leaf on top with euros you were keeping in your shoe to making fun of the idioms of the program directors to savoring the last bite of your food... this list could go on for years.

All in all, mi amo firenze.

No comments:

Post a Comment