Saturday, February 19, 2011

Allora, Andiamo A Assisi

february 20, 2011

july 2007

When I was fifteen years old, I took a group trip to Italy. We hit ten or so towns and cities in almost a month. At such a young age, I appreciated the fact that I was there, but I do not think I got as much out of it as I am at nineteen.

Today, we went to Assisi, the peace capitol of the world, and I had so many flashbacks. It was a very strange experience. On the steps of the Basilica di Saint Francis, I remembered being four years younger, in a long skirt and a light sweater over my tank top, sweating hot. On the steps of St. Francis, I remember looking out onto the spectacular countryside and waiting for my necklace to be blessed. It was surreal.

We, my study abroad program that is, arrived in Assisi at about 11am. After a quick cappuccino and a laugh at a few girls who went into the mens room by accident, we took the escalators up to the swirling streets. A woman with grey-brown hair told us the history behind the amazing architecture we were admiring.

Two o'clock rolled around, and everyone was starving. A few friends and I stumbled upon a restaurant (just realizing now that I didn't take a business card, something I've been doing habitually to remember the trip by, rats). I had fresh prosciutto and fresh mozzarella between two huge pieces of yes, again, fresh thin floury bread. Bellissimo!

After meeting up with some other friends from our program, I was on the hunt for the little panini shop I have been dreaming about for four years. Instead, we discovered something much greater. We walked up to the highest point of Assisi. It took my breath away.

Sitting on the crumbling stone, I looked out onto all of Assisi and beyond. Wearing just a v-neck and jeans, I could look out onto the mountains around me and see snow. The air was so crisp, so fresh. I grabbed a smooth stone next to me and flipped it in my hand as I would if I were on the warm beaches of Belmar.

This day trip to Assisi gave me a chance to remember myself then, and look at my life now. Boy, have I grown up. I can't wait to think back to that line and have this "aha" moment again.

I have so many pictures. I'll add a couple more later. For now, this is a now and a then shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment