Thursday, February 17, 2011

studying abroad means going to class too

Every Thursday at 9am, I wake up and get myself to Social Media class. This class is different than anything else I have taken before. I had to open a Twitter account for class, I write on discussion forms, no notebook necessary. Macbooks are encouraged.

In this class, the importance of social media has been highlighted. Most of us are young aspiring journalists who are looking to utilize anything and everything online. Most of us use social networks to fuel our social networks solely, though we are quickly learning how different networks can launch your career, put you out in the online world to get your thoughts heard, to get ahead in the world.

One word that my professor continues to use is "public," and she has asked us to define it. A public is a term reconstructed with a new definition to me through this class. Most think of a public as the people, in the broadest terms possible. A public is everyone. A public is people who communicate, work together, share news and ideas, etc. When I say a public in relation to my class, I am referring to a small community of people, the people in my classroom, along with my instructor. We as a public interact with each other by posting, commenting, and using other networks to communicate with each other about social media.

I have found a site that talks about social media in Italy and how it has been in hyperdrive since 2009. Because my public is made up of 20 year olds who are studying in Italy, I thought it would relate to us well.

No comments:

Post a Comment