Thursday, February 10, 2011

lifestyle

The Italian lifestyle isn't really as relaxed as Americans think. Italians are stressed. Many oppose their leader. They have high unemployment rates in some areas. Cooks work the longest hours out of most professions, and what do you think of when you think of Italy? FOOD.

The one thing they do right by though is learning the importance of taking a moment to relax, to savor their food, to savor their moments.

Today, I got a hot chocolate on my way to the grocery store and of course being in the most touristy part of Florence, John Mayer's Sunday Morning was playing. I'm not sure what got over me, maybe the fact that I rediscovered this song over winter break, and it made me think of home, but I ended up singing. Yes, out loud.

I got some positive feed back and just went on my way. Beautiful moment to escape.

The other day, I saw this man. He was looking stressed. He ran out in his business suit and got a nice gelato cone, smiled and looked relieved.

Don't get me wrong, not all Italians are like girls and chocolate, abusive and using it to escape. But I love the fact that Italians live a more balanced life. It makes me want to spend forever here.

No comments:

Post a Comment