Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reverse Culture Shock

Reverse culture shock is one of the craziest things I've ever experienced. So far, I've responded "grazie ciao" while leaving a store, stared at a stranger who asked, "is someone in the bathroom," and got confused when the bank teller handed me dollar bills. I've taken a few naps, something I never do and have woken up exhausted each day I've been here. I managed to miss the exit on Route 18 that I have always taken to get to my job. I almost ended up on the other side of the road, don't ask me how.

My biggest fear now is forgetting: forgetting the details, forgetting my friends from there. I'm not looking forward to the day that I see someone I know, and they don't ask, "how was your trip," because they either don't care or already heard it. I feel like my eyes are always glazed over, and I'm not really awake.

For me, that trip wasn't just a trip. I truly set up a life for myself there. I made a home complete with classes, friends, things to do. I was completely comfortable with the city for weeks before I left. That's a feeling I don't really have at home just yet. Maybe after I finish unpacking... Its like I have never lived here, but I somehow know where everything is.


More on reverse culture shock: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment