Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Finals and Ending

Its so hard to stay focused on school work while saying goodbye to a beautiful city. Good thing I packed and took pictures of the everyday city I see early in the week. I need a few pictures with some shop owners, and I'm finished. So sad.

Today, I climbed to the top of the Duomo. Yes, it took me over three months, but I finally did it. I thought it would be a good way to say goodbye, and it was. I met a lot of people, then when it emptied out a bit, a few tears did roll down my cheeks. Its hard leaving a place I was so genuinely happy in. If I can build myself a life here though, I know I will be able to do it again in another town.

One great reminder when leaving a wonderful place behind: when you leave, you are not leaving empty handed. Your leaving with memories, mementos, and friendships. Leaving this place also means entering a new one. The new locale is open to exploration, even if thats rediscovering a place you've already been. And if your unhappy with this place, you have the confidence that you can build a new and happy life for yourself as you did in that place you're leaving. If you could do that once, you can do that again.

As my mom says, "there is no place like home," which is true. What's also true is that "home" can be set up anywhere. It will be nice to see my family and friends from New Jersey, but I know a piece of me will always be here, in this home of Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment